In the thick of winter and with Valentine’s day quickly approaching, I am sharing with you one of our family’s favorite breakfast treats. Nothing says goooood morning better than a fresh hot-off-the-iron waffle. Not only is this recipe the perfect blend of soft chewiness on the inside with a crisp and golden exterior, they are even gluten and grain free! I recently picked up the CUTEST pink mini waffle maker during a trip to Target, so I am looking for every excuse to give it some use. Here’s a link to the same one if you’re interested (it works great, and the coating is PFOA-free).
Gluten + Grain Free Waffles
*Adapted from this recipe from the blog Nurture My Gut.
Yield: 14 mini waffles
1 cup almond flour
1 cup tapioca starch
2 Tbsp coconut flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp sea salt
2 organic eggs
1 cup almond milk
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1-2 Tbsp maple syrup (optional- but I love the maple flavor it adds!)
1/4 cup melted butter (or melted coconut oil for dairy free)
coconut or avocado oil cooking spray
- Combine the almond flour, tapioca starch, coconut flour, baking power and sea salt in a medium bowl.
- In another bowl whisk the eggs, almond milk, apple cider vinegar, and maple syrup together. Pour into the dry ingredients and stir to combine.
- Whisk the melted butter into the mixture and stir until all of the lumps are gone.
- Coat a heated waffle iron (I used a mini iron) with cooking spray, and fill with batter. Cook according to waffle maker instructions.
- Extra waffles can be quickly reheated the next day in the toaster.
- This recipe can easily be halved for a smaller batch. A half batch feeds a family of three perfectly!